BEREA, Ohio – The No. 10 nationally-ranked Baldwin Wallace University women's basketball team hosted Capital University for Seniors' Day and the last regular season game in Ursprung Gymnasium inside the Lou Higgins Center. The Yellow Jackets topped the Comets by a 75-46 score to claim a share of Ohio Athletic Conference regular season title.
Before the contest, BW honored seniors All-OAC and Academic All-OAC forward Lilly Edwards (Dublin/Coffman), Academic All-OAC forward Maighread Laliberte (Norway, Maine/Oxford Hills), guard Emily Lyon (Wadsworth/Highland), and Academic All-OAC forward Megan Scheibelhut (Avon Lake/Elyria Catholic) for their amazing academic and athletic careers at the University.
BW (18-4, 15-2 OAC) was led by Edwards as she posted 16 points and six rebounds. Edwards went 6-8 from the field and added two steals. Senior Academic All-OAC guard Megan Hensel (Upper Sandusky) also tallied double digits, scoring 13 points and grabbing four rebounds.
Capital (5-19, 2-14 OAC) was led by freshman guard Laney Murphy as she tallied a game high 18 points as she was 6-12 from the field and 4-8 from the three-point line.
- The Yellow Jackets four three pointers in the first quarter (shooting 4-9 from distance) all my different players (sophomore guard Carolyn Wochele (Mentor), freshman guard Emily Irwin (Pickerington/Watkins Memorial), junior Academic All-OAC guard Regan Schill (Sheffeild Village/Elyria Catholic), and Hensel.
- BW went into the second quarter with a 22-9 lead.
- Scheibelhut splashed a three to start the second quarter to keep the momentum in BW's favor.
- The Comets went on an 8-2 run with 6:13 left in the half.
- BW remained in control, going into the half with a 34-21 lead.
- It remained a three-point-shooting game as both teams traded threes to start the half.
- A couple free throws from Edwards and back-to-back three-point baskets from Irwin and sophomore forward Sylvie Sonneman (Jamestown/Greenview) put BW on a 8-0 scoring run and gave the Yellow Jackets their largest lead of the game (48-29) and forced Capital to a timeout with 3:43 left in the third.
- BW went into the last ten minutes of play with a 50-33 advantage.
- A three from freshman forward Bella Vaillant (Perrysburg) at the 6:55 mark kept BW in driver's seat, earning the Yellow Jackets a big 62-36 lead.
- The Yellow Jackets knocked down a few more shots from deep to grab as much as a 31-point lead in the contest.
- At the final buzzer, BW claimed the OAC regular season title with the huge 75-46 victory.
The Yellow Jackets are back in action on Tuesday, February 22 as they compete in the OAC Tournament Quarterfinals. The game will tip-off in Urpsrung Gymnasium inside the Lou Higgins Center.