PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. – The Baldwin Wallace University baseball team competed in a non-conference Snowbird Classic matchup against Ohio Wesleyan University in Centennial Park. The Yellow Jackets' big bats pushed them past the Battling Bishops, beating OWU 12-3.
The Yellow Jackets now improve to 7-0 on the season and hand Ohio Wesleyan (3-1) its first loss of the year. BW was led by senior All-OAC right fielder Drew Wilson (Sagamore Hills/Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy) as he went 1-1 with three RBIs and junior third baseman Chris Viamonte (Naples, Fla./Lely) as he hit 3-4 with three RBIs and three runs. Starter junior right hander Dawson Gabe (Lawrence, Ind.) earned the win on the mound for BW, pitching 5.0 innings, totaling nine strikeouts, and allowing no runs and just two hits.
- The Yellow Jackets got the jump in the bottom of the third on a one-run OWU error
- In the bottom of the fourth, another error by the Battling Bishops and a two-run single by Wilson earned BW the big 5-0 lead
- In the sixth, a sacrifice fly by Wilson and a fielder's choice tallied another two runs for the Yellow Jackets (7-0 BW)
- A solo homerun by OWU put up a run on the scoreboard
- A one-run double to score Viamonte by freshman second baseman Sean Kolenich (Parma/St. Edward) put BW up 8-1
- The Battling Bishops earned two runs in the eighth with a two-run double to right field
- The Yellow Jackets tallied four more in the eighth, highlighted by a three-run double to center field by Viamonte and a one-run single by sophomore catcher Mark Mohnickey, Jr (North Ridgeville/St. Edward)
- BW claimed the huge 12-3 win to remain undefeated on the year
On the Mound
- Gabe started on the mound
- Senior right hander Maxwell Cebulak (Oakmont, Pa./Pittsburgh Central Catholic) relieved, pitching an inning, posting two strikeouts, and allowing no runs
- Freshman right hander Kade Swisher (Berea/Berea-Midpark) threw two innings and tallied three strikeouts and allowed three runs on three hits
- Sophomore right hander Kyle Maruna (Medina) closed the ninth inning for the Yellow Jackets and earned three strikeouts
BW returns to the field on Wednesday, March 9 as the team takes on Mitchell (Conn.) College in another Snowbird Classic contest in Centennial Park. The game is set to begin at 5:00 p.m. against the Mariners.