ALLIANCE, Ohio – The No. 13 nationally-ranked Baldwin Wallace University baseball team was on the road to face the University of Mount Union in an Ohio Athletic Conference doubleheader. The Yellow Jackets (25-6, 11-3 OAC) defeated the Purple Raiders (17-12, 8-6 OAC) in both games by 14-12 and 9-5 final scores.
Game 1 was led by the top of the batting order as junior centerfielder Vincent Capolupo (Kenmore, N.Y./St. Joseph's Collegiate), senior All-Mideast Region Alex Ludwick (Brunswick/Padua Franciscan), and junior All-OAC first baseman Luke Vonderhaar (New Bremen) each hit a homerun, combining for eight RBIs, and five runs. Junior designated hitter Bryce Holt (Richfield/Revere) also hit 4-5 with three runs and two RBIs. Ludwick, with his homerun in his first at-bat, set the BW record for Runs Batted-In, surpassing Kyle Chontos with 154 during his 2012-15 career. After the day, Ludwick has totaled 157 RBIs.
- BW got the 2-0 jump on the Purple Raiders in the top of the first on a two-run homerun over right field by Ludwick to drive in Capolupo, who reached on a double over the centerfielder
- Mount Union answered back with four runs in the bottom of the inning on an RBI single and a three-run homerun (4-2 Purple Raiders)
- The Yellow Jackets tallied one in the top of the third on a solo homerun over left center field by Vonderhaar
- BW went up 5-4 in the top of the fourth on a two-run single through the right side by Vonderhaar to score Capolupo and Holt
- The Purple Raiders regained the lead with a sacrifice fly and an RBI single down the left field line (6-5 Mount Union)
- In the top of the fifth, the Yellow Jackets scored three on an RBI single by Holt, the go-ahead sacrifice fly ball by sophomore catcher Mark Mohnickey, Jr (North Ridgeville/St. Edward), and an RBI single by Capolupo (8-6 BW)
- BW batted-in two runs on an error by the Mount Union centerfielder and an RBI single by Holt (10-6)
- The Purple Raiders notched one run back in the bottom of the sixth on a sacrifice fly
- The Yellow Jackets tallied four runs in the eighth inning, extending the lead to 14-7, highlighted by an RBI double by Mohnickey and a two-run homerun by Capolupo
- Mount Union gained some momentum in the make-or-break last inning, scoring five runs, but it wasn't enough as the Yellow Jackets went on to claim the 14-12 victory
On the Mound
- Junior right hander Dawson Gabe (Lawrence, Ind.) started on the mound and earned the win (4-2), pitching four innings, allowing five earned runs, and tallied five strikeouts
- Senior right hander Steve Spidell (Mount Eaton/Waynedale) relieved, throwing one inning, allowing one earned run
- Junior right hander Matt Sabin (Mentor) threw 3.2 innings, allowing five earned runs, and posted three strikeouts
- Senior right hander Drew Wilson (Sagamore Hills/Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy) came in to close, pitching to the final batters, and recorded the last out for BW
Game 2 was led by Holt as he hit 2-3 with two RBIs and a run. Junior second baseman Ryan Guggenheim (Solon) went 2-4 with two doubles, two runs, and an RBI.
- Mount Union earned a 2-0 jump on BW in the bottom of the first on a two-run homerun over right center field
- The Yellow Jackets responded in the top of the second, scoring six runs, highlighted by an RBI single by Holt, an RBI single by Capolupo, a sacrifice fly by Ludwick, and a two-run homerun over straight-away center field hit by Vonderhaar
- The Purple Raiders put another run on the board in the bottom of the inning on an RBI single (6-3 BW)
- Mount Union earned one in the top of the fourth on an RBI double
- In the top of the seventh, two RBI doubles by Wilson and Guggenheim and an RBI single by Holt put three more runs on the board for BW (9-4)
- The Purple Raiders tallied one run in response on an RBI double
- Senior pitcher Scott Kirchhoff (Toledo/Toledo Northview) retired the last two frames as the Purple Raiders were scoreless, BW went on to win 9-5
On the Mound
- Junior right hander Aidan Bennett (Naples, Fla./Barron Collier) started, pitched 3.1 innings, allowing four runs on six hits, and struck out four batters
- Spidell threw one inning, facing four batters
- Senior right hander Maxwell Cebulak (Oakmont, Pa./Pittsburgh Central Catholic) faced three batters and posted a strikeout
- Kirchhoff pitched the last three innings, allowing just one run, and struck out four batters
BW is back in action Sunday, April 24 when the team hosts a non-conference single game against Oberlin College. First pitch against the Yeomen is set for 2:00 p.m. on Fisher Field.