BEVERLY, Mass. – The Baldwin Wallace University baseball team faced Endicott (Mass.) College in game one of the best-of-three NCAA Division III Baseball Super Regionals series. The Yellow Jackets topped the Gulls by a 4-2 final score.
The Yellow Jackets (36-11) earned the 2-0 jump on a two-run homerun over left field by senior All-Mideast Region shortstop Alex Ludwick (Brunswick/Padua Franciscan). BW was tied 2-2 with the Gulls (40-9) for three innings until sophomore catcher Mark Mohnickey, Jr (North Ridgeville/St. Edward) hit a solo homerun over left center field to give the Yellow Jackets the big advantage.
BW was also led by senior All-OAC utility player Drew Wilson (Sagamore Hills/Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy) and he shutout the Gulls, pitching four scoreless innings. Earning the win on the mound, Wilson ties the BW Single Season Pitching Wins record, notching his ninth of the season. Wilson also batted in a run on a single to right field in the eighth inning.
- BW got out to the 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first as Ludwick hit a statement homerun over left field, batting in junior All-OAC centerfielder Vincent Capolupo (Kenmore, N.Y.) who reached on a walk
- The Gulls scored a run in the top of the second on a sacrifice fly ball to left field
- Endicott tallied another run on an RBI single in the third, tying the game 2-2
- Mohnickey homered over left center field in the bottom of the seventh to earn BW the big 3-2 lead
- An RBI single by Wilson in the bottom of the eighth added an insurance run for the Yellow Jackets, scoring junior left fielder Andrew Parker (Toledo/Toledo Central Catholic) and putting the Yellow Jackets up 4-2
- The Gulls were scoreless in the top of the ninth, as they were the visiting team in today's matchup, as BW went on to claim the huge 4-2 game one Super Regional victory
On the Mound
- Junior right hander Dawson Gabe (Lawrence, Ind.) started on the mound, throwing five innings, allowing two runs on four hits, and struck out four batters
- Right hander Wilson finished the game, pitching the four scoreless innings on just one hit, and totaling five strikeouts
The Yellow Jackets go up 1-0 in the series and are back in action Saturday, May 28 as they'll take on the Gulls in game two and in the 'if-necessary' third game. First pitch of game two of the series is set for 10:00 a.m., with the second game to follow at Endicott.