Fort Myers, Fla. – The Baldwin Wallace University baseball team faced non-conference opponent Alvernia (Pa.) University at Terry Park Sports Complex. The Yellow Jackets claimed victory over the Golden Wolves by a 6-4 final score.
BW (6-0) was led by freshman second baseman Sean Kolenich (Parma/St. Edward) as he went 3-4 from the plate, totaling four RBIs and a run. Senior right-handed reliever Steve Spidell (Mount Eaton/Waynedale) also led BW by earning the win on the mound, pitching 4.2 innings, tallying seven strikeouts, and allowing just one earned run on two hits.
- BW striked first in the second inning with a two-run single by Kolenich to score junior third baseman Chris Viamonte (Naples, Fla./Lely) and junior All-OAC first baseman Luke Vonderhaar (New Bremen)
- On a foul-out tag, the Golden Wolves tallied a run in the bottom of the second
- In the bottom of the third, Alvernia notched another run on a Yellow Jacket error, making it 2-2 in the ball game
- The Yellow Jackets earned four runs in the top of the fourth to make it 6-2, highlighted by another two-run single from Kolenich and a two-run single from senior All-OAC right fielder Drew Wilson (Sagamore Hills/Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy)
- The Golden Wolves tallied one run in both the seventh and the ninth but it wasn't enough to close the gap as BW earned the big 6-4 win.
On the Mound
- Freshman right hander Seve Cantini (Roaming shores/Jefferson Area) started on the mound for the Yellow Jackets, throwing 2.1 innings, totaling five strikeouts and allowing one run on one hit
- Spidell came in to relieve
- Junior right hander Garret McLeod (Medina) closed for BW, pitching the last two innings, posting two strikeouts, and allowing no earned runs
The Yellow Jackets return to the diamond Monday, March 7 as they face Ohio Wesleyan University in the Snowbird Classic. First pitch is set for 11:00 a.m. in Centennial Park.