BROCKPORT, N.Y. – Baldwin Wallace University baseball Head Coach Brian Harrison earns his 300th win at BW as the second-seeded Yellow Jackets defeated fourth-seeded Johnson & Wales (R.I.) University in Clark V. Whited Complex. BW (34-11) earned the big NCAA Regional victory by a 13-4 final score.
With the win over JWU (18-26), this year's team becomes the most winningest team in BW history, notching 34 wins. This team surpasses the 2018 team as they concluded the year with 33 wins.
It was another record-breaking day for junior All-OAC first baseman Luke Vonderhaar (New Bremen) as he garnered the BW Single Season Homerun Record. In his fifth and final at-bat of the day, a two-run homerun over left field was his 17th homerun of the season, breaking a 20-year record. Vonderhaar surpasses Pat Shannon who hit 16 homeruns in the 2002 season.
BW was led in today's contest by junior second baseman Ryan Guggenheim (Solon) as he hit 3-6 with three runs and two RBIs. Guggenheim earned BW the lead with a two-run single in the third inning. Freshman third baseman Sean Kolenich (Parma/St. Edward) hit 2-4 with four RBIs while senior All-OAC right fielder Drew Wilson (Sagamore Hills/Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy) batted a perfect 4-4 with two RBIs and a run.
- BW got out to the 2-0 lead in the top of the third on a two-run single by Guggenheim
- The Yellow Jackets extended their lead with two more runs in the third on RBI singles by Wilson and Kolenich
- The Wildcats scored two runs on no hits in the bottom of the third, BW up 4-2
- In the top of the fourth inning, BW tallies two more runs on RBI singles by Guggenheim and Kolenich (6-2)
- JWU earned one run in the bottom of the fifth to close the BW advantage to three runs
- BW cracked the game wide open in the top of the sixth as the Yellow Jackets scored four runs on four hits, highlighted by a base-clearing double, hit by Kolenich
- In the top of the ninth BW scored three more, highlighted by a solo homerun by sophomore catcher Mark Mohnickey, Jr (North Ridgeville/St. Edward) and the record-breaking two-run shot over left field by Vonderhaar
- The Wildcats were scoreless in the make-or-break bottom of the ninth as BW went on to claim the NCAA regional win by a 13-4 score to earn Harrison his 300th win
On the Mound
- Freshman right hander Dylan Snyder (Stow/Archbishop Hoban) started on the mound, allowing two runs on no hits, and struck out three batters
- Junior right hander Garrett Miller (McMurray, Pa.) relieved, throwing 2.1 innings, allowing one run on two hits, and struck out three
- Freshman right hander Seve Cantini (Roaming Shores/Jefferson Area) faced four batters and allowed one run on two hits
- Senior right hander Scott Kirchhoff (Toledo/Sylvania Northview) earned the win (1-1) for BW, pitching a hitless and scoreless 3.2 innings, and tallied four strikeouts
The Yellow Jackets are back in action on Sunday, May 22 as they will face the winner of the consolation game between Johnson & Wales and Wheaton (Mass.) College. First pitch of the NCAA Regional finals is set for 11:00 a.m., with the 'if-necessary' game to follow.