BROCKPORT, N.Y. – The second-seeded Baldwin Wallace University baseball team competed in NCAA Division III Baseball Regionals in Clark V. Whited Complex, defeating third-seeded host school of SUNY Brockport by a 4-3 final score on a walk-off single by freshman third baseman Sean Kolenich (Parma/St. Edward).
The Yellow Jackets (33-11) found themselves in the bottom of the ninth after senior All-OAC utility player Drew Wilson (Sagamore Hills/Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy) pitched four shutout innings for the Golden Eagles (33-10).
BW was led by Kolenich with the walk-off to score junior second baseman Ryan Guggenheim (Solon). Guggenheim also hit a tying two-run single in the sixth inning, making the score 3-3.
- Brockport earned the 3-0 jump on the Yellow Jackets in the first inning on a three-run homerun over right field, totaling all their runs of the contest
- In the bottom of the first, a BW Single Season Homerun Record tying solo homerun by junior All-OAC first baseman Luke Vonderhaar (New Bremen) made the score 3-1, Golden Eagles leading
- With bases juiced, Guggenheim singled to score junior All-OAC centerfielder Vincent Capolupo (Kenmore, N.Y.) and senior All-Mideast Region shortstop Alex Ludwick (Brunswick/Padua Franciscan), tying the game at 3-3 in the bottom of the sixth
- BW came to the bottom of the ninth with a 3-3 score, earning two base runners, Guggenheim and junior left fielder Andrew Parker (Toledo/Toledo Central Catholic), with one out
- A single to right field by Kolenich earned BW the walk-off win in the ninth, claiming the 4-3 victory
On the Mound
- Junior right hander Dawson Gabe (Lawrence, Ind.) started on the mound, giving up the homerun in the first, but struck out three batters and allowed just four hits through five innings
- Wilson allowed no runs on just three hits through four innings, striking out two batters and walking none
The Yellow Jackets return to play Saturday, May 21 as they advance to the winners' bracket game. BW will take on the game one winner, Johnson & Wales (R.I.) University, with first pitch slated for 12:00 p.m. in Clark V. Whited Complex.