MARIETTA, Ohio – The No. 18 nationally-ranked and third-seeded Baldwin Wallace University baseball team faced the second-seeded Otterbein University on the first day of the Ohio Athletic Conference Tournament on Don and Sue Schaly Field at Pioneer Park.
The Yellow Jackets (31-9) got out to the 3-0 advantage in the first inning and kept the lead for the rest of the nine-inning matchup, defeating the Cardinals (27-14) by a 10-2 final score.
BW was led by junior right-handed pitcher Dawson Gabe (Lawrence, Ind.) as he threw eight full innings, allowing just two runs on six hits, and totaled 11 strikeouts.
Senior All-OAC utility player Drew Wilson (Sagamore Hills/Cuygahoga Valley Christian Academy) went 2-4 on the day with three runs, two RBIs, and a triple. Wilson also finished the game, closing on the mound for BW. Junior designated hitter Bryce Holt (Richfield/Revere) hit 3-3 with two RBIs.
- BW got the 2-0 jump on the Cardinals with a two-run shot over left center field by junior All-OAC first baseman Luke Vonderhaar (New Bremen), giving BW the momentum early
- Also in the top of the first, a sacrifice fly ball by freshman third baseman Sean Kolenich (Parma/St. Edward) tallied another run, putting the Yellow Jackets up 3-0
- The Yellow Jackets scored four runs in the top of the second, highlighted by a walk-in, a two-run single by Kolenich, and an RBI single to center field by Holt (7-0 BW)
- Otterbein tallied one run on a walk-in in the bottom of the fourth
- BW went up 9-1 in the sixth with RBI singles by Wilson and Holt
- The Cardinals hit a solo homerun over left field in the seventh
- In the top of the eighth, the Yellow Jackets earned a run on an RBI single by junior utility player Ryan Guggenheim (Solon) to score Kolenich (10-2 BW)
- Wilson closed for BW, recording three outs, as the Yellow Jackets went on to win by a 10-2 score
On the Mound
- Gabe started on the mound and earned the win (4-3), recording 11 strikeouts, and allowed just two runs on six hits
- Right hander Wilson closed, allowing just one hit
BW returns to play tomorrow, May 13 as the team faces No. 2 nationally-ranked and top-seeded Marietta College on Don and Sue Schaly Field at Pioneer Park. The game is set to begin at 11:00 a.m. against the Pioneers.