PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. – The Baldwin Wallace University baseball team took on the Mitchell (Conn.) College Mariners in the Snowbird Classic at Centennial Park. The Yellow Jackets again proved to be an outstanding offensive team, tallying 11 hits, and defeated Mitchell by an 11-2 final score.
BW improves to 8-0 on the year, remaining undefeated in the early season, while Mitchell falls to 3-4. The Yellow Jackets were led by senior All-OAC right fielder Drew Wilson (Sagamore Hills/Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy) as he kicked off the scoring for the Yellow Jackets, notching a grand slam in the top of the third. Junior All-OAC designated hitter Luke Vonderhaar (New Bremen) batted 2-4, posting two runs and two RBIs.
- Wilson earned BW the substantial 4-0 lead after the bases loaded homerun
- BW notched another run to go up 5-0 with a double from Vonderhaar
- Mitchell tallied two in the bottom of the fifth to close the Yellow Jacket advantage to just three
- An RBI ground out by freshman infielder Sean Kolenich (Parma/St. Edward) but BW up 6-2 in the sixth
- In the seventh BW scored three, highlighted by two infield singles hit by senior catcher JT Mazula (Pittsburgh, Pa./North Hills) and Kolenich
- A Vonderhaar triple in the eighth scored one to make it 10-2 BW, and another score off a senior left fielder Bijan Kamalipour (Frisco, Texas/Jesuit College Preparatory School) double topped off the Yellow Jacket scoring (11-2)
On the Mound
- Junior right hander Aidan Bennett (Naples, Fla./Barron Collier) started on the mound and earned the win (1-0), pitching through four innings, allowed no runs on just three hits, and tallied eight strikeouts
- Sophomore right hander Kyle Maruna (Medina) relieved, walking two batters and allowing two runs
- Senior right hander Scott Kirchhoff (Toledo/Sylvania Northview) pitched four scoreless and hitless innings, walked just three batters, and totaled eight strikeouts
- Senior right hander Clay Anderson (Broadview Heights/Trinity) closed, allowing two hits, no runs, and finished with two strikeouts
The Yellow Jackets return to play Friday, March 11 as they face Sewanee (Tenn.): The University of the South in the Snowbird Classic at 2:00 p.m. in Centennial Park.