BEREA, Ohio – The No. 17 nationally-ranked Baldwin Wallace University baseball team hosted Hiram College to start the three-game weekend on Fisher Field. The Yellow Jackets (11-1) heavy bats totaled 19 hits and carried them to a win over the Terriers (3-7) by an 18-3 final score.
BW was led by junior left fielder Ryan Guggenheim (Solon) as he batted 3-4, tallying six RBIs with two doubles and a single. Senior All-OAC right fielder Drew Wilson (Sagamore Hills/Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy) also hit 3-4 and scored three runs while tallying four RBIs.
- The Yellow Jackets earned the early jump as Wilson doubled, scoring junior center fielder Vincent Capolupo (Kenmore, N.Y./St. Joseph's Collegiate)
- BW scored another three runs on a Guggenheim three-RBI double to left center field
- With two runners on in the bottom of the second, an All-Mideast Region shortshop Alex Ludwick (Brunswick/Padua Franciscan) double down the left field line tallied another run (5-0 BW)
- A sacrifice fly hit by junior All-OAC first baseman Luke Vonderhaar (New Bremen) and another double by Guggenheim earned another two runs to make it a 7-0 BW lead
- In the bottom of the third, a Capolupo double to right field scored sophomore catcher Mark Mohnickey, Jr (North Ridgeville/St. Edward) and senior outfielder Bijan Kamalipour (Frisco, Texas/Jesuit College Preparatory School)
- Wilson then hit a three-run bomb over the left field fence to make it an early 12-0 Yellow Jacket advantage after three innings of play
- A walked-in run earned Vonderhaar a RBI, a balk by Hiram, and a two-run single to left field earned BW four more runs in the bottom of the fourth (16-0)
- A passed ball and an RBI ground out by junior designated hitter Bryce Holt (Richfield/Revere) tallied another two runs for the Yellow Jackets
- In the top of the seventh, Hiram earned three runs on one hit, but three big strikeouts by sophomore closer Weston Lorenz (Milford Center/Fairbanks)
On the Mound
- Junior right hander Aidan Bennett (Naples, Fla./Barron Collier) starting on the mound for BW, earning the win, allowing no runs on no hits, and posting eight strikeouts
- Freshman right hander Dylan Snyder (Stow/Archbishop Hoban) relieved, pitching two innings and totaled four strikeouts and allowed no runs on one hit
- Freshman right hander Brady Compton (Berea/Berea-Midpark) faced four batters and allowed three runs on one hit
- Right hander Weston Lorenz (Milford Center/Fairbanks) closed the last inning for BW, totaling back-to-back-to-back strikeouts and allowing no runs, walking two batters
BW returns to play tomorrow as it hosts Defiance College and University of Pittsburgh at Bradford (Pa.) on Fisher Field. First pitch against the Defiance Yellow Jackets is set for 9 a.m.