CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa – The Baldwin Wallace University baseball team faced Eastern Connecticut State University on day one of the NCAA Division III Baseball Championships in Veterans Memorial Stadium.
Seventh-seeded BW (37-12) fell to second-seeded ECSU (45-3) by a 10-3 final score, snapping the Yellow Jackets' five-game win streak. While BW held a 1-0 lead until the bottom of the fifth and out-hit the Warriors, tallying 11 knocks, two four-run innings by the second seed led ECSU to the victory.
BW was led by junior centerfielder Vincent Capolupo (Kenmore, N.Y./St. Joseph's Collegiate) as he went 3-5 on day day. Senior All-American shortstop Alex Ludwick (Brunswick/Padua Franciscan) batted in the first run in the second inning and finished 2-5 at the plate.
- A two-out RBI single by Ludwick (to score Capolupo, who reached on a single) put the Yellow Jackets on the board first in the top of the second (1-0 BW)
- The Warriors gained the lead in the bottom of the sixth, scoring four runs on and RBI single, a walk-in, an error by BW, and a wild pitch
- BW tallies one run in the top of the seventh on an RBI single to right center field by junior All-American first baseman Luke Vonderhaar (New Bremen), making it 4-2 ECSU
- ECSU earned two runs in the bottom of the seventh on an RBI single to left field and an infield single (6-2)
- In the top of eighth, the Yellow Jackets earned a run on an RBI double by sophomore catcher Mark Mohnickey, Jr (North Ridgeville/St. Edward) to score senior All-Region utility player Drew Wilson (Sagamore Hills/Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy)
- The Warriors posted four unearned runs in the bottom of the eighth (10-3 ECSU)
- BW was scoreless in the top of the ninth as the Warriors went on to claim the day one World Series victory
On the Mound
- Junior right hander Dawson Gabe (Lawrence, Ind.) started on the mound, pitching five innings, allowing two earned runs on two hits, and struck out five batters
- Senior right hander Wilson relieved, throwing two innings, allowing four runs, and struck out two batters
- Senior right hander Steve Spidell (Mount Eaton/Waynedale) started the eighth inning, allowing four runs
- Junior right hander Aidan Bennett (Naples, Fla./Barron Collier) finished the eighth inning, posting a defensive assist
The Yellow Jackets are back in action Saturday, June 4 as they face the loser of third-seeded LaGrange (Ga.) College and sixth-seeded Trinity (Texas) University. First pitch is set for 4:30 CST in Veterans Memorial Stadium.