BEREA, Ohio – The No. 12 nationally-ranked Baldwin Wallace University baseball team dropped an Ohio Athletic Conference doubleheader against No. 1 nationally-ranked Marietta College on Fisher Field.
Marietta (34-3, 15-1 OAC) won the opener by a final score of 16-2 and took the nightcap by a final score of 2-0.
In game one, BW (26-8, 11-5 OAC) scored two runs on six hits as it plated one run in the fifth inning and one in the seventh inning off the solo shot by junior Academic All-OAC third baseman Chris Viamonte (Naples, Fla./Lely). The Pioneers scored 16 runs on 12 hits as they pushed 10 runs across the plate in the second inning, two in the third, three in the seventh and one in the ninth.
At the Plate
- Senior All-Midwest Region shortstop Alex Ludwick (Brunswick/Padua Franciscan) was 2-for-4 with a double
- Viamonte was 1-for-4 with a homerun, run scored and run batted-in (RBI)
- Junior Academic All-OAC catcher Cooper Harestad (Vandalia/Butler) was 1-fpr-3 with a double
- Junior designated hitter Bryce Holt (Richfield/Revere) was 1-for-3 with a run scored
- Junior All-OAC right fielder Drew Wilson (Sagamore Hills/Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy) was 1-for-4
On the Mound
- Senior right hander Garrett Miller (McMurray, Pa.) took the loss as he allowed seven runs on three hits with four walks in 1.2 innings pitched.
- Senior righty Steve Spidell (Mount Eaton/Waynedale) allowed three runs (two earned) on two hits with one walk in a third-of-an-inning pitched.
- Freshman right hander Dylan Snyder (Stow/Akron Archbishop Hoban) allowed five runs on six hits with three strikeouts and two walks in five innings
- Freshman lefty Lino Valletta (Chesterland/West Geauga) allowed one run on one hit with four walks in an inning
- Freshman right hander Noah English (Perrysburg) did not allow a run or hit in one inning
In game two, the Yellow Jackets were held scoreless for the first time this season on four hits. Marietta scored two runs on seven hits as it pushed both of its runs across the plate in the seventh inning.
At the Plate
- Junior All-OAC and Academic All-OAC first baseman Luke Vonderhaar (New Bremen), freshman second baseman Sean Kolenich (Parma/St. Edward) and Ludwick were all 1-for-4
- Sophomore catcher Mark Mohnickey, Jr. (North Ridgeville/St. Edward) was 1-for-2
On the Mound
- Junior righty Dawson Gabe (Lawrence, Ind.) took the loss as he allowed two runs on three hits with six strikeouts and four walks in 6.2 innings pitched
- Junior Academic All-OAC left hander Nik Baldis (Wexford, Pa./North Allegheny) did not allow a run on four hits
BW is back in action on Sunday, May 1 when it travels to Granville for a pair of single nine-inning non-conference games against Allegheny (Pa.) College and No. 25 nationally-ranked Denison University on the Big Red Baseball Field at 12:30 and 4:00 p.m., respectively.