WESTFIELD, Ind. – The Baldwin Wallace University baseball team played in day one of the Crossroads Crossover Series facing DePauw (Ind.) University at the Grand Park Sports Complex. The Yellow Jackets defeated the Tigers in a walk-off win by a 9-8 score.
BW (3-0) was led by junior left fielder Ryan Guggenheim (Solon) as he hit 4-5 and scored three runs for the Yellow Jackets, hit a triple, and earned an RBI and a stolen base. Guggenheim was the winning run in the bottom of the ninth. Junior All-OAC first baseman Luke Vonderhaar (New Bremen) hit 2-5 with two runs and two RBIs.
- DePauw kicked off the scoring, earning a run in the top of the first
- BW matched the Tigers run to make it 1-1 in the first as senior All-OAC utility player Drew Wilson (Sagamore Hills/Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy) scored on a pass ball
- On a ground out play in the second, Vonderhaar score to put BW up one
- The Tigers tallied three in the top of the third to re-gain the lead (4-2 Tigers)
- Responding again, the Yellow Jackets scored four in the bottom of the inning (6-4 BW) highlighted by a Vonderhaar double, scoring two, a Guggenheim triple, and a single by junior third baseman Chris Viamonte (Naples, Fla./Lely)
- The teams traded a score at a time, with the Yellow Jackets holding a two-run lead (8-6) heading into the eighth inning
- The Tigers notched two in the eighth on a double and a single to tie the game up at 8-8
- In the bottom of the ninth, Guggenheim singled to start things up for BW
- A Viamonte sacrifice bunt put Guggenheim at second
- An intentional walk put runners on first and second for the Yellow Jackets
- A throwing error by DePauw on a double-play attempt scored Guggenheim from second base for the walk-off 9-8 win
On the Mound
- Sophomore right hander Brendon Hink (Poland/Neshannock, Pa.) started on the mound and pitched three innings, tallying six strikeouts, and allowing three earned runs
- Senior right hander Scott Kirchhoff (Toledo/Sylvania Northview) relieved, throwing three innings, earning two strikeouts, and allowing just one earned run
- Junior right hander Dawson Gabe (Lawrence, Ind.) relieved, throwing 1.1 innings and posted three strikeouts
- Wilson (1-0) came in to close the last 1.2 innings, earned the win, totaled four strikeouts, and allowed no runs
The Yellow Jackets return to action tomorrow, February 27 as they compete in day two of the Crossroads Crossover Series, taking on Anderson (Ind.) University. First pitch is set for 12:00 p.m. at the Grand Park Sports Complex.