COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 5 seeded Baldwin Wallace University men's tennis team took down No. 4 seeded Capital University in the Ohio Athletic Conference Tournament Quarterfinals sponsored by Skyline Chili by a final score of 5-3 at the Scarborough East Tennis Club.
With the victory, BW advances to the OAC Semifinals sponsored by Skyline Chili and will face No. 1 seeded Ohio Northern University.
Doubles (BW, 2-1)
- The No. 1 duo of junior Trey Kernan (Penfield, N.Y.) and freshman Matt McGee (Ottawa Hills) got the Yellow Jackets on the board with an 8-2 win over Leonardo Abreu and Colin Welch.
- Capital got their first point of the match at the No. 2 doubles when junior All-OAC Anthony Tosatto (Creston/Norwayne) and freshman Caleb Reed (Wilmington) fell to Alex Stout and Spencer Surles by a score of 8-4.
- In the last doubles match, the freshmen pairing of Aidan Hicks (Oneida, N.Y.) and Adam Zeidler (Bay Village/Bay) took down Aaron Askew and Jesse Stevens by a score of 8-6.
Singles (BW, 5-3)
- McGee got the first point in the singles action with a 6-2,6-3 victory over Abreu.
- Kernan kept the momentum going for BW with a win in three sets over Stout by scores of 7-5, 1-6, 6-0.
- The Comets picked up a point at the No. 3 singles when Surles picked up a 6-1, 7-5 win over Hicks.
- The last point for Capital came at the No. 4 singles when Welch picked up a 6-1, 7-5 victory over Tosatto.
- In the deciding match Zeidler picked up a commanding 6-1, 6-2 over Stevens.
- In the No. 6 singles match Jack Hindman (Avon) was leading Askew by a score of 3-2 before the match was called when BW picked up their fifth point.
The No. 5 seeded Yellow Jackets are back in action on Friday, May 6 when they take on No. 1 seeded Ohio Northern at the Lindner Family Tennis Center in Mason, Ohio at 4:30 p.m.