By: Athletic Communications Student Assistant Corey Friedrich '22
ALLIANCE, Ohio – The Baldwin Wallace University women's tennis team opened the Ohio Athletic Conference portion of their spring schedule with a 9-0 victory against the University of Mount Union inside the Peterson Field House.
The Yellow Jackets rise to 2-8 on the year, while Mount Union falls to 1-6.
Doubles (BW, 3-0)
- Senior All-OAC Ashtyn Morris (Salem) and sophomore All-OAC Gabriela Heideman (Doylestown/Wadsworth) emerged victorious in the No. 1 doubles match over Abby Franks and Emma Thornton with a 9-8 win.
- The No. 2 pairing of junior Lizzy Cole (Shaker Heights) and freshman Hanna LeMaster (Avon) defeated Mount Union's Sydney Scotford and Jenna Hinkle by a score of 8-2.
- Sophomore Kierstyn Yates (Grafton/Midview) and freshman Mattie Hicks (Oneida, N.Y.) won the No. 3 doubles match versus Gretchen Koken and Jenna Reppart by a final of 8-3.
Singles (BW, 9-0)
- In the No. 1 singles match, Morris defeated Franks 7-5 (14-12), 6-3.
- Heideman was the winner of No. 2 singles with a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Thornton.
- Yates won the No. 3 match 6-3, 6-1 over Scotford.
- The No. 4 singles match was won by Cole, who defeated Hinkle 6-2, 6-3.
- LeMaster won the No. 5 match against Koken by a score of 6-0, 6-0.
- Freshman Emma Trost (Norwalk) completed the BW sweep with a 6-1, 6-1 victory versus Marissa Scobee.
The Yellow Jackets return to action on Saturday, April 9th with a road OAC match against Muskingum University at 1:00 p.m. at Cambridge City Park.