MEDINA, Ohio – The No. 4 seeded Baldwin Wallace University women's tennis team took down the No. 5 seeded Capital University in the Ohio Athletic Conference Tournament Quarterfinals. The Yellow Jackets won 5-4 at the Paramount Tennis Center. Freshman Emma Trost (Norwalk) pulled off the clutch victory in the deciding match that went three sets and into a tiebreaker as it lasted over three hours.
With the victory, BW advances to play the No. 1 seeded Otterbein University on Friday, May 6.
Doubles (BW, 2-1)
- The No.1 double pairing of sophomore All-OAC Gabriela Heideman (Doylestown/Wadsworth) and sophomore Kierstyn Yates (Grafton/Midview) took down Kelli Wright Lovell and Anna Fletcher by a score of 8-4.
- The No. 2 pairing of senior All-OAC and Academic All-OAC Ashtyn Morris (Salem) and junior Lizzy Cole (Shaker Heights) had a commanding victory over Amy Wright-Lovell and Josie Nicholas as they won 8-1.
- At the No. 3 spot, the freshmen pairing of Hanna LeMaster (Avon) and Mattie Hicks (Oneida, N.Y.) fell to Nicole Flock and Haley Singleton by a score of 8-4.
Singles (BW, 5-4)
- Back in the No. 1 spot, Morris fell to Kelli Wright-Lovell in tightly contested match by scores of 6-4, 7-5.
- Heideman in the No. 2 spot fell to Fletcher in three sets by scores of 1-6, 6-2, 6-2.
- LeMaster dropped the No. 3 spot to Flock by scores of 7-6 (7-2), 6-2.
- At No. 4, Yates picked up a dominating victory by scores of 6-1, 6-2.
- In the deciding match, Trost went through three sets and a tiebreaker in a match that went over three hours. Trost pulled off the victory by scores of 2-6,7-5, 7-6 (7-4).
- In the final spot, Cole picked up a win in two sets over Karen Kanke by scores of 6-2, 6-1.
The Yellow Jackets return to action in the OAC Tournament Semifinals as they take on the No. 1 seeded Otterbein University at the Linder Family Tennis Center on Friday, May 6 at 1:00 p.m.