TUCSON, Ariz. – The Baldwin Wallace University softball team dropped a pair of non-conference games on day four of the Tucson Invitational Games at the Lincoln Park.
BW (1-7) opened the day by falling to NAIA Valley City State (N.D.) University by a final score of 4-1. The Yellow Jackets ended the day by falling to NAIA Roosevelt (Ill.) University by a final score of 17-5 in five innings.
Against Valley City State, BW scored one run on five hits as it scored its only run in the fifth inning on the first collegiate homerun by sophomore third baseman Julia Gersey (Solon). The Vikings scored four runs on seven hits as they pushed one run across the plate in the fourth inning, one in the fifth and two in the sixth.
At the Plate
- Gersey was 2-for-3 with a homer, run scored and run batted-in.
- Sophomore All-Ohio Athletic Conference catcher Bridie Bricker (Brook Park/Berea-Midpark), sophomore centerfielder Lexy Coggins (Vermilion/Firelands) and freshman left fielder Kenzie Morsillo (Middleburg Heights/Padua Franciscan) all added a base knock.
- Morsillo had her first collegiate double
In the Circle
- Junior All-OAC right hander Nikki Camarati (Brunswick/Holy Name) took the loss as she allowed four runs on seven hits with 10 strikeouts and four walks in six innings.
In game two, the Yellow Jackets scored five runs on six hits as they scored three runs in the first inning and one run in the second and fourth. The Lakers scored 17 runs on 18 hits as they pushed five runs across the plate in the first inning, two in the second, four in the third and six in the fifth.
At the Plate
- Senior Academic All-OAC designated player Amanda Crisler (Lorain/Amherst), senior All-OAC right fielder Ashley Matousek (Macedonia/Akron Archbishop Hoban), sophomore All-OAC shortstop Emily Mau (Broadview Heights/Brecksville-Broadview Heights), Bricker, Coggins and Gersey each had a hit
- Matousek had a run scored and two RBIs
- Coggins had two RBIs and a stolen base
- Bricker had a double, run scored and RBI
- Crisler had a double
- Gersey had a run scored
- Mau had two runs scored, two walks and stole base
In the Circle
- Junior right hander Hannah Welling (Ravenna) took the loss as she allowed five runs on four hits with one walk
- Freshman righty Marisa Hall (Paris/East Canton) pitched 2.2 innings and allowed six runs on nine hits with two strikeouts
- Freshman left hander Ashley Zwick (Canton/South) pitched 1.2 innings and allowed five runs on four hits with three strikeouts and three walks
- Freshman right hander Taryn Welty (Medina/Wooster) pitched two-thirds of an inning and allowed one run on one hit with one strikeout and one walk.
BW closes out its spring break trip and competition at the Tucson Invitational games with a non-conference doubleheader against Buena Vista (Iowa) University at Lincoln Park Field #7. First pitch in game one is scheduled for 12 p.m. with game two slated to begin at 2:15 p.m.