TUCSON, Ariz. – The Baldwin Wallace University softball team opened its 2022 season and the Tucson Invitational games by dropping a non-conference doubleheader to Sul Ross State (Texas) University at Lincoln Park.
In game one BW (0-2) scored one run on five hits as it plated its lone run in the sixth inning. Sul Ross State (9-6) scored two runs on six hits as it pushed both its runs across the plate in the third inning.
At the Plate
- Junior first baseman Raegan Thompson (Mentor) was 2-for-2 with a stolen base
- Junior All-Ohio Athletic Conference designated player Ashley Matousek (Sagamore Hills/Akron Archbishop Hoban) was 1-for-3 with a run batted-in (RBI)
- Sophomore All-OAC shortstop Emily Mau (Broadview Heights/Brecksville-Broadview Heights) and freshman second baseman Kenzie Morsillo (Middleburg Heights/Padua Franciscan) each added a base knock.
- Mau scored the lone run
In the Circle
- Junior All-OAC right hander Nikki Camarati (Brunswick/Holy Name) suffered the loss as she allowed two runs on five hits with 12 strikeouts and three walks.
- Freshman righty Marissa Hall (Paris/East Canton) pitched 0.2 innings with one hit
In game two, the Yellow Jackets scored seven runs on 11 hits as they plated two runs in the second, four in the third and one in the fifth. The Lobos scored 16 runs on 17 hits as they pushed four runs across the plate in the first inning, two in the second, one in the third, three in the fifth and sixth in the sixth.
At the Plate
- Sophomore All-OAC catcher Bridie Bricker (Brook Park/Berea-Midpark) was 3-for-4 with a double, 2 RBIs and two runs scored.
- Sophomore centerfielder Lexy Coggins (Vermilion/Firelands) was 2-for-3 with 2 RBIs
- Thompson was 2-for-4 with a run scored
- Matousek, Morsillo, senior Academic All-OAC leftfielder Amanda Crisler (Lorain/Amherst) and sophomore third baseman Julia Gersey (Solon) each added a base knock
- Matousek had a double and a run scored
- Morsillo scored a run
- Crisler scored two runs and had an RBI and a walk
- Gersey had a walk
In the Circle
- Junior right hander Hannah Welling (Ravenna) took the loss as she allowed six runs (one earned) on five hits with five strikeouts and two walks in 1.2 innings
- Hall allowed 10 runs (six earned) on 12 hits with six strikeouts and one walk in four innings pitched
- Freshman lefty Ashley Zwick (Canton/South) pitched 0.1 innings and had one walk
BW is back in action on Tuesday, March 8 when it continues play at the Tucson Invitational Games with non-conference games against Buena Vista (Iowa) University and Sul Ross State University at 12 and 2:15 p.m. respectively.