TUCSON, Ariz. – The Baldwin Wallace University softball team earned a split on day three of the Tucson Invitational Games at Lincoln Park.
BW (1-5) opened the day by earning its first win of the season with a 4-3 defeat of Sul Ross State (Texas) University. The Yellow Jackets closed the day by dropping an 11-7 decision to Buena Vista (Iowa) University.
Against Sul Ross, BW scored four runs on 11 hits as it plated three runs in the third and one in the sixth. The Lobos scored three runs on six hits as it pushed all three runs across the plate in the fifth inning.
At the Plate
- Senior All-Ohio Athletic Conference designated player Ashley Matousek (Sagamore Hills/Akron Archbishop Hoban) was 2-for-3 with a double, run batted-in and a walk.
- Sophomore third baseman Julia Gersey (Solon) was 2-for-3 with a run scored
- Junior Academic All-OAC second baseman Alicia Saxton (Boardman) was 2-for-2 with an RBI
- Sophomore All-OAC shortstop Emily Mau (Broadview Heights/Brecksville-Broadview Heights) was 2-for-4 with a runs scored
- Senior Academic All-OAC right fielder Amanda Crisler (Lorain/Amherst), junior first baseman Raegan Thompson (Mentor) and sophomore centerfielder Lexy Coggins (Vermilion/Firelands) all added a base knock.
- Crisler and Thompson each had an RBI
In the Circle
- Junior All-OAC right hander Nikki Camarati (Brunswick/Holy Name) won her first game of the season as she allowed three runs six hits with eight strikeouts and three walks in seven innings.
In game two, the Yellow Jackets scored seven runs on 10 hits as they plated five runs in the first and one run in the fifth and sixth. The Beavers scored 11 runs on 11 hits as they pushed two runs across the plate in the first, one in the third, seven in the fourth and one in the fifth.
At the Plate
- Thompson was 2-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI
- Saxton was 2-for-4 with an RBI
- Freshman left fielder Kenzie Morsillo (Middleburg Heights/Padua Franciscan) was 2-for-3 with a two runs scored, an RBI and a walk.
- Gersey was 2-for-3 with a triple and a run scored
- Crisler and Coggins each added a base hit
- Crisler had two RBIs
- Coggins had an RBI
In the Circle
- Freshman righty Marisa Hall (Paris/East Canton) suffered the loss as she allowed seven runs (three earned) on eight hits with four strikeouts and two walks in 3.1 innings pitched
- Junior right hander Hannah Welling (Ravenna) pitched 2.2 innings and allowed four runs (one earned) on three hits with one strikeout and two walks
BW continues play at the Tucson Invitational Games on Thursday, March 10 with non-conference games against NAIA Valley City State (N.D.) University and NAIA Roosevelt (Ill.) University at 4:30 and 6:45 p.m., respectively.