BEREA, Ohio – The Baldwin Wallace University softball team swept Heidelberg University in a rescheduled Ohio Athletic Conference doubleheader on the BW Softball Field at the Roehm Athletic Complex.
BW (12-14, 7-3OAC) and Heidelberg (14-12, 3-7 OAC) were originally scheduled to play on Wednesday, April 13 but the games were postponed due to inclement weather.
The Yellow Jackets won the opener by a final score of 3-2 and took the night cap by a final score of 5-4
In game one, BW scored three runs on seven hits as it plated one run in the first inning, one in the third inning and the game-winning run on a sacrifice fly by sophomore All-OAC catcher Bridie Bricker (Brook Park/Berea-Midpark) in the sixth. The Student Princes scored two runs on five hits as they pushed both of their runs across the plate in the fifth.
At the Plate:
- Sophomore All-OAC shortstop Emily Mau (Broadview Heights/Brecksville-Broadview Heights) was 3-for-3 two runs scored and a career-high three stolen bases
- Senior All-OAC designated hitter Ashley Matousek (Sagamore Hills/Akron Archbishop Hoban), junior Academic All-OAC second baseman Alicia Saxton (Broadman), sophomore third baseman Julia Gersey (Solon) and Bricker all added a base knock
- Saxton had a double and scored the game-winning run
- Bricker had the game-winning run batted-in
- Gersey had an RBI and a walk
In the Circle
- Junior All-OAC right hander Nikki Camarati (Brunswick/Holy Name), who is this week's OAC Pitcher of the Week for the second straight week, won her fifth straight game as she allowed two runs on five hits with 13 strikeouts and one walk
In game two, the Yellow Jackets scored five runs on nine hits as they plated one run in the second inning, two in the third, one in the fifth and one on the game-winning RBI single by Saxton in the seventh. Heidelberg scored four runs on 10 hits as it pushed one run across the plate in the third inning, one in the fourth and two in the fifth.
At the Plate
- Saxton was 3-for-4 with a run scored, a career-high three RBIs, including the game-winner, and a stolen base
- Matousek was 2-for-3 with a double, two runs scored, including the game-winner, an RBI and a walk
- Mau was 2-for-4 with two runs scored
- Freshman left fielder Kenzie Morsillo (Middleburg Heights/Padua Franciscan) was 1-for-3 with an RBI
- Freshman first baseman Sara Frederickson (Lake Balboa, Calif./Notre Dame) was 1-for-2 with a walk
In the Circle
- Junior righty Hannah Welling (Ravenna) got the start and pitched four innings of no decision ball as she allowed four runs (three earned) on eight hits with two strikeouts and two walks.
- Freshman right hander Marisa Hall (Paris/East Canton) won her third game of the season as she allowed no runs on two hits with five strikeouts and one walk in the final three innings.
BW is back in action on Friday, April 15 when it travels to Westerville for an OAC doubleheader against Otterbein University on the Otterbein Softball Field at 1 p.m. The Yellow Jackets return home on Saturday, April 23 when it hosts an OAC and Seniors' Day doubleheader against the University of Mount Union at 1 p.m.