UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, Ohio – The Baldwin Wallace University softball team splits a rescheduled Ohio Athletic Conference doubleheader with crosstown rival John Carroll University on Bracken Field.
BW (10-14, 5-3 OAC) and John Carroll (9-9-1, 3-3 OAC) were originally scheduled to play on Tuesday, April 5 but the games were postponed until Monday, April 11 and then again to today.
The Yellow Jackets, who have won nine of its last 12, won the opener by a final score of 7-0. The Blue Streaks took the nightcap by a final score 4-3.
In game one, BW scored seven runs on nine hits as it plated one run in the third inning, six runs in the fifth sparked by the first career grand slam by senior All-OAC right fielder Ashley Matousek (Sagamore Hills/Akron Archbishop Hoban) and the first career homerun by sophomore center fielder Lexy Coggins (Vermilion/Firelands). John Carroll was held scoreless for the second time of the season on one hit.
At the Plate:
- Sophomore All-OAC shortstop Emily Mau (Broadview Heights/Brecksville-Broadview Heights) was 3-for-4 with a run batted-in (RBI)
- Freshman left fielder Kenzie Morsillo (Middleburg Heights/Padua Franciscan) was 2-for-2 with
- Matousek was 1-for-4 with a grand slam and four (RBIs)
- Coggins was 1-for 4 with a homerun and career-high tying two RBIs
- Junior Academic All-OAC second baseman Alicia Saxton (Boardman) was 1-for-3 with a double
- Freshman first baseman Sara Frederickson (Lake Balboa, Calif./Notre Dame) was 1-for-3 with a run scored
In the Circle
- Junior All-OAC right hander Nikki Camarati (Brunswick/Holy Name), who is this week's OAC Pitcher of the Week for the second straight week, was perfect through 6.1 innings before giving up a hit as she did not allow a run on one hit with 16 strikeouts and no walks.
- Freshman righty Marisa Hall (Paris/East Canton) pitched the two-thirds of an inning and did not allow a run or hit
In game two, the Yellow Jackets scored three runs on eight hits as they plated one run in the first inning and two in the second. The Blue Streaks scored four runs on eight hits as it pushed two runs across the plate in the fourth inning and two in the fifth.
At the Plate
- Saxton was 2-for-3 with two RBIs
- Matousek was 2-for-4 with an RBI
- Mau, Frederickson, senior designated hitter Kayla Lorenzo (Chagrin Falls/ West Geauga) and sophomore third baseman Julia Gersey (Solon) all had a base knock
In the Circle
- Camarati started the game and only pitched one inning as she did not allow a run on one hit with two strikeouts
- Junior right hander Hannah Welling (Ravenna) took the loss as she allowed four runs on seven hits with three strikeouts and three walks in 3.1 innings.
- Hall did not allow a run or a hit in 1.2 innings with two strikeouts and two walks.
BW is back in action on Thursday, April 14 when it hosts an OAC rescheduled doubleheader against Heidelberg University on the BW Softball Field at the Roehm Athletic Complex at 3 p.m. The Yellow Jackets close out the week with a road doubleheader on Friday, April 15 when it travels to Westerville for an OAC game against Otterbein University on the Otterbein Softball Field at 1 p.m.