OTTAWA, Ohio - Sophomore Brooke Newsome (Clyde) wins the Defiance Fall Invitational as the Baldwin Wallace University women's golf team opened the 2022-23 campaign as it placed third out of three teams at the Defiance Fall Invitational at Moose Landing Country Club.
BW placed third of three teams with 744 strokes on the 6,170 Moose Landing layout. Host, Defiance College won the invitational with 716 strokes.
The top five leading BW:
- Newsome wins the invitational with rounds of 84 and 86 for a total of 170. This is Newsome's first career win.
- Junior Morgan Briley (Brunswick) placed 14th with rounds of 94 and 96 for a total of 190
- Sophomore Steph Neff (Seven Hills / Padua Franciscan) placed 15th and cared rounds 91 and 100 for a total of 191
- Sophomore Lauren Neher (Norwalk / Edison) placed 16th and posted rounds of 97 and 96 for a total of 193
- Senior Academic All-Ohio Athletic Conference selection Kaitlynn Olak (Norwalk/St. Paul) placed 20th and tallied rounds of 104 and 107 for a total of 211
Playing as individuals:
- Sophomore Halle Kalaman (Tallmadge / Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary) tied for fifth and carded rounds of 91 and 89 for a total of 180
- Freshman Alana Smith (Fremont / Ross) placed ninth with rounds of 89 and 96 for a total of 185
- Sophomore Lexy Kovach (Strongsville / Magnificat) finished 21st and tallied rounds of 115 and 122 for a total of 237
The Yellow Jackets are back in action on Saturday and Sunday, September 3-4 when they travel to Harrison to compete in the Mount St. Joseph Stateline Shootout at the Miami Whitewater Forest Golf Course.