BEREA, Ohio – The Baldwin Wallace University men's volleyball team hosted Wabash (Ind.) College for a MCVL match in Ursprung Gymnasium inside the Lou Higgins Center. The Yellow Jackets defeated the Little Giants (3-15, 0-5 MCVL) in straight sets by scores of 25-18, 25-14, and 25-19.
BW (8-16, 3-3 MCVL) was led by sophomore outside hitter Nick Irelan (Powell/Olentangy Liberty) as he tallied 11 kills and seven digs while hitting a remarkable .526 average. Sophomore All-MCVL outside hitter Michael Beard (Hilliard/Darby) and sophomore right side hitter Nick Mazzone (Springboro/Bishop Fenwick) each earned seven kills and four digs.
- A service by Irelan made it 5-1 BW advantage early
- An ace by freshman middle hitter Carson Junker (Massillon/Jackson) and a kill by Beard earned the Yellow Jackets a 17-11 lead, forcing a Little Giants timeout
- A 4-1 run forced another Wabash timeout (21-12 BW)
- The Yellow Jackets went on to win the set 25-18 after game-ending kill by Mazzone
- Down 5-2, three straight aces from Junker tied the set at 5-5
- A solo block by Mazzone earned BW the lead at 12-11 before the Yellow Jackets went on to tally three more points to force Wabash to a timeout (15-11 BW)
- Wabash took its second timeout as BW grabbed a 19-12 advantage
- The Yellow Jackets claimed the set two win by a 25-14 score on an ace by Beard
- Three consecutive points earned BW the 12-8 advantage, forcing Wabash to its first timeout
- The Yellow Jackets went up 21-14 to cause another Little Giants timeout late in the set
- A kill by Mazzone put BW up 23-17 before the Yellow Jackets ended the set 25-19, claiming the big 3-0 victory over the Little Giants
The Yellow Jackets hit .400 as a team while holding the Little Giants to a .207 average. BW got Wabash out of system on serve receive, tallying eight service aces on the night. BW also earned the advantage in blocks (5-2).
BW returns to action Saturday, March 26 as it hosts Fontbonne (Mo.) University in another conference match. First serve is set for 1:00 p.m. in Ursprung Gymnasium.