ERIE, Pennsylvania – The No. 15 Baldwin Wallace University baseball team was on the road to face Penn State University Behrend in a non-conference single game to conclude the regular season on Penn State Behrend Baseball Field. The Yellow Jackets (30-9) battled back from an early 4-0 deficit, and notched a big five-run seventh inning, to carry them to an 11-4 win over the Lions (25-11).
BW was led by senior All-Mideast Region shortstop Alex Ludwick (Brunswick/Padua Franciscan) as he notched three RBIs on two hits. With one of those hits being a double, Ludwick became the BW Career All-Time Doubles Leader with 57, surpassing Kyle Chontos who totaled 56 during his 2012-15 career. Freshman third baseman Sean Kolenich (Parma/St.Edward) hit 2-4 with two runs and an RBI.
- The Lions got the 2-0 jump in the first
- In the bottom of the second, Penn St.-Behrend earned one run to go up 3-0 on BW
- The Lions tallied one more run on a score on a wild pitch to go up 4-0 in third
- BW scored three runs in the top of the fourth, highlighted by an RBI single by Kolenich and a two-run double by Ludwick, for his record-breaking 57th double
- The Yellow Jackets notched a run in the fifth to tie the game 4-4 on an RBI single by junior designated hitter Bryce Holt (Richfield/Revere)
- BW scored five runs in the seventh inning, highlighted by RBI singles by junior All-OAC first baseman Luke Vonderhaar (New Bremen) and senior All-OAC utility player Drew Wilson (Sagamore Hills/Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy), to make it 9-4 BW
- The Yellow Jackets earn two runs in the top of the ninth on RBI singles by junior second baseman Ryan Guggenheim (Solon) and Wilson
- The Lions were held scoreless in the ninth as BW went on to claim the 11-4 non-conference victory
On the Mound
- Nik Baldis (Wexford, Pa./North Allegheny), Matt Sabin (Mentor), Maxwell Cebulak (Oakmont, Pa./Pittsburgh Central Catholic), Scott Kirchhoff (Toledo/Sylvania Northview), Steve Spidell (Mount Eaton/Waynedale), Clay Anderson (Broadview Heights/Trinity), Seve Cantini (Roaming Shores/Jefferson Area), Aidan Bennett (Naples, Fla./Barron Collier), and Garrett Miller (McMurray, Pa.) each pitched an inning in today's contest
- Kirchoff, Spidell, Anderson, Cantini, Bennett, and Miller held the Lions scoreless as Kirchoff and Bennett allowed no hits
- Spidell and Cantini each struck out three batters in their innings
The Yellow Jackets return to action as the team begins the Ohio Athletic Conference Tournament on Thursday, May 12. The tournament will be hosted at top-seeded Marietta College in a four-team double-elimination format. BW will be facing Otterbein University. Please check the BW baseball schedule page for updates.