WESTFIELD, Ind. – The Baldwin Wallace University team took on Anderson (Ind.) University on day two of the Crossroads Crossover Series at Grand Park Sports Complex. The Yellow Jackets' heavy hitting surged them past the Ravens by a 9-4 final score.
BW (4-0) as led by junior All-OAC first baseman Luke Vonderhaar (New Bremen) as he went 2-5 against Anderson (1-4), tallying two runs and two RBIs. Freshman right-handed pitcher Seve Cantini (Roaming Shores/Jefferson Area) got his first start on the mound for the Yellow Jackets, throwing three innings and earning the win. Cantini allowed just one hit, posted five strikeouts, and allowed no runs.
- Senior right fielder Drew Wilson (Sagamore Hills/Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy) homered to left field in the top of the first to kick of scoring for the Yellow Jackets
- Senior All-Mideast Region shortstop Alex Ludwick (Brunswick/Padua Franciscan) doubled to left field and later stole third and advancing home on an error by Anderson, putting BW up 2-0
- The Yellow Jackets scored another two runs in the third, highlighted by a solo homerun by Vonderhaar and a score from junior left fielder Ryan Guggenheim (Solon)
- In the sixth, a double by senior catcher JT Mazula (Pittsburgh, Pa./North Hills) scored two and a bunt single from junior center fielder Vincent Capolupo (Kenmore, N.Y./St. Joseph's Collegiate) tallied one, giving the Yellow Jackets a sizable 7-0 lead
- The Ravens earned their first run of the game with an RBI single to center field
- Two doubles for BW, one by Vonderhaar and one by junior third baseman Chris Viamonte (Naples, Fla./Lely) batted in two more runs (9-1)
- A three-run homer by Anderson in the ninth wasn't enough, as BW earned the win by a 9-4 score
- Sophomore right hander Kyle Maruna (Medina) came in to relieve Cantini, pitching one inning and tallying two strikeouts
- Senior right hander Steve Spidell (Mount Eaton/Waynedale) relieved Maruna, throwing three innings and tallied two strikeouts and allowed one run
- Junior left hander Nik Baldis (Wexford, Pa./North Alleghany) also relieved, facing just three batters and earning one strikeout
- Junior right hander Matt Sabin (Mentor) finished the eighth inning, retiring two batters
- Junior right hander Ethan Boyko (North Royalton) closed for BW, earning a strikeout and allowing the Anderson homerun
The Yellow Jackets return to the field Saturday, March 5 as they travel to Port Charlotte, Fla. for the Snowbird Classic. BW is scheduled to play seven non-conference games during the 2022 spring trip. The Yellow Jackets will first take on Misericordia (Pa.) University at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday.